Our aim is to provide a high quality, integrated early education and childcare program for children age 30 months to school age, whose families live or work in the town of Mount Desert and its surrounding communities.
We provide a rich, developmentally appropriate curriculum in a fun, safe and caring environment. At Mount Desert Nursery School and Childcare Center (MDNS) we focus on the individual, allowing children to learn at their optimal pace. Our thoughtfully designed activities and play areas encourage children to explore and discover the world around them. Using this natural process, children develop self-help skills and a foundation for enjoyable learning throughout life.
Our program encourages and assists children to increase independnce, develop self-confidence, relate respectfully to people and promotes a growing awareness of their environment. The school's daily schedule includes a balance of play, rest, indoor and outdoor time all led by teachers and chosen by the children.
- 7:00 - 9:15 Arrival and Open Play: block play,imaginative/dramatic play, craft/art project, quite activity centers
- 9:15 Pick up toys time! (Then bathroom visit and hand washing)
- 9:30 Snack (crackers, fruit and milk or water)
- 10:00 Circle Time: weather, calendar, story and songs, this week's theme...
- 10:00 Activities: craft project, cooking, outings, ect
- 10:45 Inside or Outside Play
- 12:00 Bathroom visit and handwashing
- 12:00 Lunch: a full menu is displayed in the entryway to the school
- 12:30 Book reading, puzzles. Inside or Outside play
- 1:00 Nap Time/Rest Time
- 1:30 Quite play for non-nappers. We take a walk if the children need to be a little more active. A teacher-led activity is available for those who want to join in.
- 2:55 Bathroom visit and hand washing
- 3:00 Snack (crackers or similar and either 100% fruit juice or water)
- 3:15 Inside or Outside Play
- 5:00 School Closes Promptly